Tuesday 17 March 2009

New pets



I have become the very proud owner of 2 very beautiful leopard geckos. Believe it or not I got them for free on freecycle!
I had been looking into getting some kind of lizard for a while. Considering how badly I got it wrong with Rocky, I wanted to really do my homework and be all set up and ready before actually getting the lizard. After a lot of reading I settled on a leopard gecko. So I put a wanted ad on freecycle to see if anyone had any spare bits and bobs like heat mat or bits of wood etc. for decorating their vivarium. To my surprise a lady emailed offering me a vivarium - complete with occupants. She said Echo (the gecko) and Lizzie (the lizard) were a pair of 1 year old females. So the following day, Grace and I tapped the postcode into the satnav and went on our jollies to Tandragee - a journey of around 50 miles. It was not the most comfortable journey for me, my back had been achey from early January and had taken a definite turn for the worse the day before. When I finally arrived I was barely able to walk and getting worried about how I was going to get a vivarium into the back of the car!

The lady, also called Sarah, was lovely though. She brought the viv (only small, about 1ft by1ft) out to the car for me and helped me get it all strapped in. Another 50 mile + drive home, then a stop at the pet shop to order a new viv (a 2 foot one) and I was done!! I couldn't even drive any more so my dad took me to pick up the new viv later in the afternoon plus some crickets etc. for them.
So, over the past week we've re-named them Mo and DeeDee. We have discovered that Mo is a boy and DeeDee is a girl, and guess what? Yes, DeeDee is pregnant! So we have installed a nesting box of damp vermiculite int he viv in the hope that she'll lay a few fertile eggs and start a family. That's DeeDee on the left, she's paler because she's a Bell's Albino. My big boy Mo is a normal and slightly bigger than DeeDee

No comments:

Post a Comment