Monday 16 February 2009

The Joys of Charity Shopping

This has been a hobby of mine for quite some time now. I LOVE charity shopping. I can;t walk past a charity shop without going in for a nosey. I know a lot more people are doing it now because of the "credit crunch " (whatever THAT particular soundbite is supposed to mean) but for many it's still something they just won't consider. Well, maybe they could consider some of the following.
It's CHARITY shopping. Whatever you spend is going to help a good cause. Action Cancer, African Children's Missions, Age Concern, Northern Ireland Hospice and Barnardos all benefit regularly from my shopping trips. Where would you rather your hard-earned cash went - to them or to line the pockets of another faceless multi-national??
But what if you like the clothes those faceless multi-nationals sell?? No problem - you'll find them in charity shops at a fraction of the price. My daughter wears Gap, Next, Pumpkin Patch, Rocha Little Rocha, Reebok and a whole load of other "brands" - all from charity shops. And I never see other children wearing the same as her because the clothes she's wearing are no longer in those shops - I like her being an individual.
This leads nicely into my next point. You find all sorts of little treasures that you just can't get anywhere else. I have a huge library of audio books that has mostly come from charity shops - a few came from car boot sales and eBay too. They are really cheap because they are on tape - I never pay more than £3 for a 2-tape story or over £5 for 4 or more. I also have some beautiful oven ware from the charity shops - I just can't find those lovely, deep casserole dishes anywhere else (You can see one in my previous post about dumplings!!) And you will never find the same thing twice, so every visit is just as interesting as the last.
Next, it's cheap. When times are hard (and that's a lot of the time these days!) you can cheer yourself up with a new pair of shoes for under £5, add on the extra feel-good factor of giving to a worthy cause AND it's guilt free!! It's great if you have a hobby. I have seen or bought wool, books, fabric, paints, beads and jewellery...no matter what your hobby you can do it on the cheap at the charity shops. Plus, you'll probably find books relating to your hobby too. There is even a charity shop near me which sells food. Anyone who can do 3 packs of chocolate digestives for £1 is alright in my book!! They also sell lots of tinned goods, and I get really nice spreadable butter there for just 80p per 500g tub!!
It's ethically sound, and green too. Send your old clothes, shoes, toys, household stuff etc to the charity shops and stop them from going into landfill! You can help the environment, a charity and your own pocket all in one go - how many chain stores can claim that??
Finally, it's a very social hobby to have. Charity shops tend to be staffed by volunteers who are very friendly and always ready for a chat.
I hope, if you have read this far, you will consider looking into your local charity shop next time you pass. Go on, you might just enjoy yourself!!

1 comment:

  1. I like charity shops as well, you never know what you are going to find. The best one in my town is the Hospice Shop, they have loads of stuff. I get my knitting wool and fabrics from there. Ilona

    ReplyDelete