Sunday 8 February 2009

Making Humous


Just a quicky while I have 5 mins peace and quiet. I made my own humous recently. I whizzed a can of chickpeas in the hand blender's bowl attachment with some lemon juice, some garlic and little olive oil. I use Greek olive oil - preferably from Crete if I can get it, it's the best I have ever tasted. I have a special bottle of Cretian oil I brought from Greece last September and NO-ONE is allowed to touch it, and it's NOT for ordinary cooking - it only gets used "raw" so the flavour doesn't get hidden.

Anyways, I digress. Whizz up your ingredients. Taste them, add a little more garlic or lemon if you need to. If you need to add a tiny bit more olive oil, then do so. But be careful, it can overpower the chickpeas. I add a little ordinary vegetable oil if the humous is too thick - it doesn't have any flavour, it just helps with the consistency.

For variety you could try stirring through a little pesto, or some smoked paprika. Humous is lovely on seedy ryvita or oatcakes. It's also a great healthy snack for little people. Grace loves her "dipdip". You can buy baby crackers that have vegetables in them and are salt free etc. so she can munch away to her hearts content - much better for her than dipping salt-coated ritz crackers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment